Gaurav Property Talks

Gaurav Property Talks

TDS and GST on Rental Income

Rental Income

Rental Income: An Overview

Rental income is a common source of revenue for many individuals and businesses. It refers to the income earned by leasing out property, such as houses, apartments, commercial spaces, or land, to tenants in exchange for periodic payments, usually monthly rent. While rental income can be a significant source of revenue, it is essential to understand its tax implications, including Tax Deduction at Source (TDS) and Goods and Services Tax (GST).

Tax Deduction at Source (TDS)

Tax Deduction at Source

Tax Deduction at Source (TDS) is a mechanism by which the government ensures that taxes are deducted from the source of income itself. TDS applies when the total annual rent exceeds a certain threshold in the context of rental income. The person or entity responsible for the payment must deduct TDS before paying the landlord.

Key Points Regarding TDS on Rental Income:

Threshold Limit: TDS on rental income is applicable when the total annual rent paid exceeds ₹240,000. If the total rent paid during the financial year is below this threshold, TDS is not required to be deducted.

Rate of TDS: TDS will be deducted from rental income at 10%. However, if the landlord has not provided their PAN (Permanent Account Number), the TDS rate increases to 20%.

Time of Deduction: TDS on rental income is deducted when paying the landlord or at the time of credit of rent, whichever is earlier.

Payment of TDS: The TDS deducted must be deposited to the government within a specified time frame, typically by the 7th of the subsequent month. Failure to deposit TDS by the required date may result in penalties and interest.

TDS Return Filing: The person responsible for deducting TDS must file a quarterly TDS return, providing details of the TDS deducted and deposited.

Goods and Services Tax (GST) on Rental Income

goods and services tax

The Goods and Services Tax (GST) is a comprehensive indirect tax imposed on India’s supply of goods and services. In the context of rental income, GST may apply depending on various factors, such as the type of property rental, the rental amount, and the nature of the landlord-tenant relationship.

Key Points Regarding GST on Rental Income:

Applicability: GST applies to rental income from commercial properties such as shops, offices, warehouses, etc. However, residential properties rented out for residential purposes are generally exempt from GST.

Threshold Limit: GST registration becomes mandatory for the landlord if the annual rental income exceeds the threshold limit prescribed under GST, which is ₹20 Lakhs for most states in India (₹10 lakhs for particular category of states).

Rate of GST: The applicable rate of GST on rental income from commercial properties is 18%. This rate may vary for specific types of properties or under certain circumstances, so it is essential to consult a tax expert for accurate information.

GST Filing: Landlords registered under GST must file GST returns periodically, usually monthly or quarterly, depending on their turnover.

Conclusion

Rental income is a significant source of revenue for many individuals and businesses, but it comes with certain tax obligations such as Tax Deduction at Source (TDS) and Goods and Services Tax (GST). Understanding these tax implications is crucial to ensure compliance with tax laws and avoid penalties.

Therefore, landlords and tenants alike must familiarize themselves with the relevant provisions of TDS and GST to manage their rental income efficiently. Consulting with tax professionals or financial advisors can also provide valuable guidance.

Frequently Asked Questions

Rental income is taxed under Section 22 of the Income Tax Act, which covers ‘Income from House Property’. This also includes exemptions for rental income. According to the clause, only 70% of total rental revenue is taxable, with the other 30% exempted automatically.

Rental income is regarded as an excellent inflation hedge, with rental appreciation typically ranging from 8% to 10% each year.

The standard deduction of 30% of the unrealized rent will be permitted. Taxable amount = Unrealised rent less 30% of Unrealised rent.

Facebook
Twitter
Email
Print

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Newsletter

Sign up our newsletter to get update information, news and free insight.

Latest Post

Unlock Your Financial Future: Invest in Real Estate
Expert guidance for building wealth through property investment

Drop Your Questions Here!